Elon Musk Net Worth
|Net Worth:||$264 Billion|
|Real Name:||Elon Reeve Musk|
|Date of Birth:||28th June 1971|
|Age:||50 years old|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Profession:||CEO, Entrepreneur, Investor, Aerospace Engineer, Designer, Businessperson, Inventor, Film Producer|
|Updated:||20th May 2022|
Have you ever wondered how many billionaires are there in the world today? You’re not alone! Believe it or not, there are only 2,668 billionaires spread globally in 2022, which is nearly 100 less than in 2021. Elon Musk is one of those few billionaires. Elon Musk is currently listed as the world’s wealthiest person, with a net worth double that of even Jeff Bezos of the Amazon empire.
So, how much is Elon Work worth today?
What is Elon Musk’s Net Worth?
As of this writing, Elon Musk is worth a staggering $264 billion.
His fortune stems from various companies and various projects, including his role as the CEO and CTO of SpaceX, the chief product architect behind Tesla Motors, and most recently, as a controlling board member over at Twitter.
Elon Musk owns around 24% of Tesla’s shares, 43% of SpaceX shares, and 9.2% of Twitter, with over 73 million shares. However, it’s important to note that, at the time of this writing, Musk is in talks to finalize the sale of Twitter, which will make him the controlling owner of the social media giant based out of California.
Who is Elon Musk?
Now, let us dive into a bit of history.
Born to a Canadian mother and White South African father, and raised in Pretoria, South Africa, Musk briefly attended the University of Pretoria before ultimately moving to Canada at an early age. He continued his school at Queen’s University before transferring to the University of Pennsylvania two years later, where he received his bachelor’s degree in Economics and Physics. Later, in 1995, Musk attended Stanford University for a grand total of two days but ultimately decided to drop out and pursue a business career as the co-founder of Zip2, alongside his brother Kimbal.
Compaq later acquired Zip2 for $307 million in 1999. Musk then used these funds to co-found X.com, an online banking platform that would later merge with Confinity to form PayPal.
Now, onto the most recent history, which we’re all excited to learn more about. In 2002, Musk founded SpaceX, an aerospace manufacturing and design company with its eyes on the stars. The goal of SpaceX was to, for starters, transport manufacturing goods and services to and from space, though Musk has continually voiced his dream of colonizing Mars.
In 2004, Musk joined Tesla Motors, Inc. as chairman and product architect, eventually moving up the ranks to become the CEO in 2008.
Musk would later use his fortune to found other companies, including Tesla Energy, a solar energy services company, and Neuralink, a neurotechnology firm deadset on developing brain-computer interfaces. With his track record, new companies are sure to follow.
Key Facts About Elon Musk
Now that you know how much Elon Musk is worth in 2022, surely you’re still curious about the man who is taking this world, and those in outer space, by storm!
- Musk currently holds two world records: Richest Person in the World and Richest Person in Modern History.
- At 12, Elon Musk designed and built his own space fighting video game, which he later sold to PC and Office Technology Magazine for $500.
- In 2013, Musk toyed with the decision of selling Tesla to Google for $11 billion. At the time, Tesla’s outlook appeared bleak, and Musk approached Larry Page, Google’s co-founder and CEO, with a takeover offer. However, the deal was put on hold when the Tesla Model S began selling like hotcakes off the line.
- Musk has transcended the technology industry by becoming a geek culture staple. The billionaire has appeared on multiple television series, including The Simpsons, where he voiced a charismatic CEO in Springfield, and on The Big Bang Theory, where he played himself in 2015.
- Do you remember the variety of vehicles displayed in James Bond films? No? Well, Musk does, and he had to have a piece. In 2013, Musk purchased the submersible Lotus Esprit from “The Spy Who Loved Me at a London auction.” The vehicle was both a land-based car and a submersible vehicle in the film. In reality, it was just a car. However, Musk planned to convert the car into a fully-functional submarine.
- Elon Musk was the inspiration for Robert Downey Jr’s Tony Stark in the 2008 Iron Man movie. Robert Downey Jr. even sat down with Musk to help nail the role, focusing on adopting the mannerisms of the world’s leading tech-savvy billionaire. Later on, Elon Musk would appear in Iron Man 2 for a quick cameo. This is one fact that makes absolute sense!
- Unhappy with today’s public and private education organizations, Elon Musk invested an untold amount of money in creating a school of his own. The plan? Educate his children the proper way while offering the same opportunity to a few SpaceX employees. The nonprofit school, called Ad Astra, Latin for “to the stars,” opened in 2014 and has just 50 students.
- Elon Musk’s net worth totals more than the market values of the following companies: Disney, Netflix, Exxon Mobile, Nike, Toyota, Coca Cola, and Chevron. Two of those companies, Exxon Mobile and Chevron, were Rockefeller companies.
What is Elon Musk Up to Today?
Today, alongside running the day-to-day operations at numerous technology companies, including Tesla and SpaceX, Musk regularly involves himself with social media. He is known for speaking his mind on platforms such as Twitter, where he has been accused of spreading misinformation regarding various views, including politics and the recent COVID-19 pandemic.
Finding himself unsatisfied with the Twitter-sphere, citing a lack of free speech, Musk announced his intentions to buy the company for an astounding $43 billion.
Twitter has, in fact, accepted Musk’s offer, which will make Elon Musk the sole owner of the social media tech giant.
As to the platform’s future, Musk has stated he plans on “enhancing the product with new features, making the algorithms open source to increase trust, defeating the spambots, and authenticating all humans.”
It’s a noble goal and one many would like to see come to fruition. Musk has his opposition, and it will be interesting to see the multi-billionaire succeed.
Are you as shocked as we are at the amassed wealth of the tech-savvy Elon Musk? Stay tuned because he will indeed surpass these numbers this year!