Robert Downey Jr. Net Worth
|Net Worth:||$300 Million|
|Salary:||$75 Million Per Movie|
|Real Name:||Robert Downey Jr.|
|Date of Birth:||4th April 1965|
|Age:||58 years old|
|Height:||5 ft 9 in (1.74 m)|
|Profession:||Actor, Singer, Producer, Voice Actor|
|Updated:||1st July 2023|
Robert Downey Jr net worth is reported to be $300 million with the widely recognized American being one of the highest-paid actors in Hollywood. He’s a producer and singer and is set to break new records with his next movie about the atom bomb.
Most know him from his roles as Tony Stark, Iron Man in the Marvel franchise, and Sherlock Holmes. His 2010 Golden Globe Award for best actor in his role as Sherlock Holmes was a well-deserved accolade for a brilliant performance.
The Marvel cinematic universe of Iron Man helped propel him to the top of the highest-paid actor list and one of the highest-paid in the history of Hollywood.
To some, he is well known for reinventing himself and his career by abolishing his severe substance abuse issues while increasing his net worth substantially.
A Look Into Robert Downey Jr’s Past
On April 4th, 1965, the future Ironman made his first appearance in New York City.
Born to Robert John Downey Sr, a writer, American actor, and director, and mother Elise Anne Downey, also a writer and actress, who featured in many of her husband’s films.
Robert Downey Sr and his wife had another child a year before Robert Downey Jr was born; Allyson Lee Downey was an actor, writer, model, dancer, and film costume designer. With a family full of talent, it is no surprise that Robert Jr also took on the talents his loved ones possessed.
His Family Family Home
The Downey family lived in Greenwich Village and by the age of eight, Robert Jr had tried marijuana for the first time.
His parents divorced in 1987 and he moved to California with Robert Downey Sr. In 1982, he dropped out of Santa Monica High School where he met Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez, Charlie Sheen, Ramon and Renee Estevez, Holly Robinson-Peete, and Dean Cain.
Robert Downey Jr then moved back to New York to pursue his acting career.
Robert Downey Jr is married to Susan Downey, a film producer he married in 2005.
How Robert Downey Jr’s Salary Helps Increase His Net Worth
With each movie he starred in, Robert Downey Jr. net worth and career accelerated with his salary increasing in tandem with his fame.
Total Earnings from Marvel
|Iron Man 1||$500 thousand|
|Iron Man 2||$10 million|
|Iron Man 3||$75 million|
|The Avengers||$50 million ($10 million base + $40 million backend bonus)|
|Avengers: Age of Ultron||$40 million|
|Captain America: Civil War||$40 million|
|Spider-Man Homecoming||$15 million|
|Avengers: Infinity War||$40 million|
|Avengers: Endgame||$75 million|
Robert Downey Jr tops out at 5’9’’ (1,74m), which is an average height for an American and certainly no giant. Though he is not as tall as his co-workers; Chris Hemsworth, Evans, or Pratt, in the Marvel movies, he makes up for it with his witty humor and great taste in music.
He weighs approximately 172Ibs (78kg).
Key Facts about Robert Downey Jr
- In 2004, after he got rid of his drug addiction for good, Robert Downey Jr released a debut album, “The Futurist”. Though only 16,000 copies were sold, the world got to see a whole new side of him. Robert Downey Jr net worth didn’t increase much with this album, but it did provide an insight into his musical talents.
- He was born into the film industry as his father was an American actor and movie director, while his mother was an actress. In the early years, he grew up and was influenced by his family’s many talents. It only makes sense that Downey Jr would end up taking on a career in acting.
A Successful High School Dropout
- At the age of 17, Robert Downey Jr dropped out of Santa Monica High School in California to pursue his acting career.
- In a cruel twist of fate, it was his father who first introduced him to drugs. He was eight years old when he tried marijuana for the first time which many say sparked his cycle of addiction.
- Apart from starring in various Marvel movies, Robert Donwey Jr starred in Chaplin in 1992 which was considered one of his best performances. For his efforts, Her Royal Majesty, the Queen of England, and Queen Elizabeth the 2nd personally attended the London premiere of his Charlie Chaplin performance in Leicester Square.
- From 1996 to 2001, Robert Downey Jr’s drug addiction spiraled out of control, which resulted in multiple arrests, imprisonments, and visits to rehab.
An Unhappy Life
- One of Robert Downey Jr’s first loves was Sarah Jessica Parker. He met her on the set of “Firstborn” when they were both 18 years old. She had helped Robert to move past his addiction but to no avail. After eight years of living together, they split up and moved on with their lives.
- Robert’s surname was originally Elias since it was his family name. However, after the 1950s, Robert Downey Snr. changed his name from Elias to Downey.
- He is the only Saturday Night Live actor who was nominated for an Oscar. Though many of Saturday Night Live’s actors were in dozens of films, none of them were given honorable mentions by the Academy. Four ex-cast members were nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar but only Robert received a Best Actor nomination for his outstanding performance in the 1993 Chaplin.
Drug Addiction Raised Its Ugly Head
- Due to his drug addiction and upcoming acting career, Robert Jr. rapidly gained fame. After unsuccessfully starting a drug treatment in 1999, Robert Downey Jr admitted to the judge that “It’s like I’ve got a shotgun in my mouth with my finger on the trigger…” Unlike most, Robert is pragmatic about his drug addiction history.
- Mel Gibson is a big fan and cast Robert Downey Jr in his 2003 movie, The Singing Detective. He also starred in Mel Gibson’s 1990 movie, Air America.
- An unexpected fact about Robert Downey Jr. is that he loves Martial Arts. He spends a lot of his time practicing Wing Chun and started practicing in a martial arts training center in the early 2000s. It was also a contributing factor in overcoming his addictions.
- Robert’s son, Indio Falconer Downey, unfortunately, appears to be traveling down the same drug road as his dad. He was arrested in June 2021 on drug-related charges. Deborah Falconer, Robert’s first wife, divorced him after problems in their personal life drove them apart.
- He is a food fanatic and loves candy and Italian food.
What is to Come for Robert Downey Jr?
In 2023, there will be a new release of the movie Oppenheimer. It is an ensemble by Christopher Nolan, who is known for having groups with a mix of talent he has worked with in the past. This film will also include stars he will work with for the first time.
The movie tells the story of J. Robert Oppenheimer, the Manhattan Project’s leading scientist. This secret World War 2 project led to the invention of the atomic bomb, which was to have devastating consequences for the world.
He’s Starring Alongside Matt Damon
In the movie, Matt Damon works alongside Robert Downey Jr, playing the role of Lewis Strauss.
Lewis Strauss was the man who was head of the United States Atomic Energy Commission and investigated Oppenheimer’s loyalty to the US.
In this film, Robert Downey Jr. is transformed into an unrecognizable character.
With a head of grey hair and talent that never dies, Robert Downey Jr. takes on his new role and will once again, with no doubt, captivate the audience in the same way he did as Tony Stark and Sherlock Holmes. This movie is sure to add to Robert Downey Jr net worth.
Robert Downey Jr. FAQs
What is Robert Downey Jr. Net Worth?
Robert Downey Jr. net worth is currently $300 million USD.
How much money does Robert Downey Jr. earn?
Robert Downey Jr. earns $75 million per movie from various sources.
How tall is Robert Downey Jr.?
Robert Downey Jr. is 5 ft 9 in (1.74 m)
How old is Robert Downey Jr.?
Robert Downey Jr. is currently 58 years old.
When is Robert Downey Jr. birthday?
Robert Downey Jr. birthday is on 4th April.